Wednesday 9 April 2014

Winter Storm Damage at Richmond Hill Home

On the Sunday before Christmas, Toronto including areas in the North like Richmond Hill were hit with one of the worse ice storms in decades. I was at the country home waiting for Lucy to pick up Laura and arrive for the holidays but the birch in front of the house bent over in front of the garage and Lucy couldn't get her car out. So I drove back to Richmond Hill, freed up her car and took Laura back to the farm.
At the time I surveyed the damage and it was bad but there was so much snow there was nothing I could do so I just forgot about it. This week the weather has been favourable and the snow is gone and the grounds are a little less wet so I got there and started to clean up.
What a mess, I think I've lost 10 mature trees in all. Four maples I planted when I bought the house, an old oak that has been there for who knows how long and five Linden trees at the back of my deck. I hope to be able to save the birch but it has a number of branches broken and I need a ladder to trim them back to see if it is savable.
Pictures do NOT do the damage justice but I post them none the less.




Most of the trees were stripped bare of all the branches .. the top heavy ones fell on those below and it cascaded down to the grown and leaving a large stick in the ground... most were all bent over and will be impossible to straighten out even if I want to ...



Looks like a tornado went through the back yard.



The ice was so heavy that the weight bent the tree over and of course this would be impossible to straighten out so even if it was salvageable in a few years it would fall over due the weight of new growth.









No comments:

Post a Comment