Friday 4 April 2014

Some Cutting Boards



I managed to acquire a whole shop full of woodworking equipment and as a way of learning how to use some of it I started to build some cutting boards. They are NOT  perfect by any means but they are indeed a good way to learn how to use a lot of the equipment especially since I stared with 8-4 rough sawn wood. This one is made out of purple heart and hard maple. I don't like the darkness of the maple but then this is a learning project so I'll live with it.

If you would like a cutting board send me a note and I'll make you one.




The following one is a little different style ...  I like the colour combinations ... Purple heart again with Ash.






This cutting board is my best to date ... this is made out of white maple so when oiled up it will be lighter than the one above and a reddish wood called Padouk. The above picture is after glue up and it is NOT finished so you can see the richness of the colours. The other one I made is underneath it for comparison. Both are in a checker board pattern and have the end grain up so that it is easier on knives and lasts longer.


You season each board with mineral oil and wax which darkens the wood quite a bit and in this case adds to the look ... the previous picture was too red. In the picture below I cut handles to lift and added some rubber legs on each corner so that it doesn't slide around.

Damn it is gorgeous!!! if I do say so myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment